We’re delighted to introduce Friends of Recovery – Mohawk Valley (FOR-Mohawk Valley), one of the newer Recovery Community Organizations in New York State. Thanks to Tom Reilly for providing us with an overview of the organization and its activities.
- What is FOR-Mohawk Valley’s mission?
Our mission is to help erase the stigma associated with drug and alcohol addictions by demonstrating the huge benefits of Recovery for individuals, families and friends.
- What communities does FOR-Mohawk Valley serve?
Oneida and Herkimer counties
- What can you tell us about addiction and recovery in your area?
Our area is no different than any others. We have addiction problems among our youth and others. We have a large recovery community with several rehab’s and outpatient clinics. It is not unheard of to have someone wait several days for a bed in a treatment facility.
- Who are your members?
We have members in recovery from addiction to alcohol and other drugs, family members, etc., as well as professionals like doctors, councilors and others that work in the field of addiction treatment.
- What types of activities does FOR-Mohawk Valley conduct on behalf of addiction and recovery?
We have participated in America’s Greatest Heart Run and Walk as the Friends of Recovery – Mohawk Valley team and are planning a “Stomp Out the Stigma” walk this summer. We are also looking into other events, like having a dinner with a speaker to raise both funds and awareness.
- How can members of the community become involved with your RCO?
Attend one of our monthly meetings, contact Tom Reilly or join our Facebook group.
- Who should someone contact to learn more?
Tom Reilly at 315 534-5446 or [email protected]
- Do you hold monthly meetings? If so, when and where are they located?
We meet on the 1st Tuesday of the month at The New Hartford Public Library — 2 Library Lane, New Hartford N.Y. 13413
- Do you have a website or social media presence?
We have a Facebook group. Interested readers can find it here.